Monday, September 5, 2011

Dominoes

It's been a while.  

When Em was younger, one of her favorite books was Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day by Judith Viorst.  After having a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad .... few years in and out of church.... and after a few more years of licking our wounds, we finally made it back to church.  Oh, we had tried before several times - at very good churches - but we weren't yet at a place to venture again with any real diligence.  Or at least that was the folly we allowed ourselves to believe in our grief, outrage and sorrow. And now for four weeks straight, we've been at church - no missing, no bellyaching, no dawdling or finding excuses.  

And God in His faithfulness has blessed that. 

In retrospect, I can look back and see the dominoes lining up, the timing and circumstance.  I'm not sure what the inciting event was, though I can see definite moments, but the dominoes started to tumble and the Spirit was determined in wooing us back to life.

When I was first a Christian in high school, it was commonplace for my other believing friends and I to query, "How's your spiritual life?"  Isn't it interesting Jesus never talked about His "spiritual life" as if it was something separate from His physical life?  Fully physical, fully spiritual - we are.   C.S. Lewis noted, "You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."  

This was the opening song yesterday at church.  I was blown away as it took on new meaning as we looked again at collisions that happen in our spiritual and physical lives, how one impacts the other.  Just like dominoes. 


There's a fire starting in my heart,
Reaching a fever pitch and it's bringing me out the dark,

Finally, I can see you crystal clear,
Go ahead and sell me out and a I'll lay your ship bare,
See how I'll leave with every piece of you,
Don't underestimate the things that I will do

No comments:

Post a Comment